Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Long Couple Days.....(25 weeks)

It has been a long couple days, but thankfully everyone is doing well now! Starting in the middle of the night Sunday I began having side cramping and back aches. It woke me up from my sleep but within an hour it had passed. I just went back to sleep figuring I ate something bad. I got up on Monday morning and went to work but didn’t last too long there before the pains came back. We called the doctor and were told to come right into the office.

After a quick ultrasound visit with Dr. White and consulting with our fetal specialist, they decided to send us to the hospital to be monitored for contractions. They hooked me up to a monitor and immediately saw I was having contractions. Turns out I have been having them for a couple weeks but I always thought what I was feeling were babies moving. Now I know the difference! They gave me a few doses of drugs to stop the contractions which slowed down the activity. They decided to admit me for the night since my cervix length had also shortened quite a bit as well.

The good news…both of the babies still look great! They are in the t-position with one baby down in position and the other transverse. The ultrasound technician said it is pretty unlikely they would change position now which probably means a c-section. But after this scare I do not care how they come out as long as they do not come any time soon!

Some other good news, the doctor did a test to see if I had evidence of some hormone that shows up shortly before you go in to labor. The test came back as negative which means they are 99.7% sure I will not go into labor in the next 2 weeks. The fetal specialist said that was great news because twins born at 27 weeks, although they spend a lot of time in NICU, do not tend to have long term development problems. We still do not want them to come at 27 weeks and are hoping for a twin full term of 38 weeks!

We were discharged this afternoon from the hospital after spending the night there. Brian was great and stayed with me there through the night! I love my husband!!!!They sent me home with drugs to stop any contractions. The doctors have also decided that it is time for me to begin working from home. The more I limit my activity the better it is for the babies and me. I am so fortunate to have a great boss who has been so supportive through these couple days. Tomorrow I am going in to get all my stuff at work and set up my home office. I am so thankful that working from home is a possibility.

Our next appointment, assuming no more contractions, will be on February 8th.

Yesterday was a very scary day for Brian and I and we are just feeling so much better today. These babies mean the world to us. We cannot wait to meet them but definitely not anytime soon. I’ve been telling them they have to hold on to at least April!

No comments: